Saturday, September 13, 2008

Just Add Water

When it comes to recipes the simpler the better. When it comes to cooking in general the only words I want to see "heat and serve." The only thing that tops that is eating right out of the bag. Everyone in my family loves the words "made from scratch." I didn't inherit the gene that tells you to go to the grocery store and buy all of your special ingredients to make your special dish. I am the mutant who doesn't understand why you should make it yourself when somebody else took the time to put it in a can.

Don't get me wrong. I have discriminating taste buds and they appreciate good home-cooked food. My taste buds, however, understand my kitchen A.D.D. and forgive me when i purchase frozen waffles instead of pulling out the waffle iron. In fact there are many things that I believe are just as good as homemade and for me, Eggo Waffles tops the list. So here is my list of foods that I will NEVER make at home...

1. Waffles (don't make the people at Kelloggs waste their time, just put their waffles in the toaster and get on with your life)
2. Bread (why bake it when you can buy it)
3. Baked Beans (taste pretty darned good right out of the can)
4. Crackers (my friend Rachel makes crackers, I admit they taste heavenly, but Triscuit and Cheez Its can't eat themselves)
5. Fried Chicken (my Uncle James has a top secret fried chicken mixture and it is truly addictive, but the thought of deep frying anything just brings the words "oily mess" to mind)
6. Soup (Progresso, you had me at minestrone)
7. Snack Cakes (I want Little Debbie to grow up and be able to go to college one day)
8. Ice Cream (the jingle says Blue Bell tastes just like the good ole days and I believe it)
9. Pasta (if you buy me a pasta maker, please include the gift receipt)
10. Potato salad (too damn many ingredients to make it taste right)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you on this post. Several of my co-workers were horrified when they learned that I don't even have a stove. I have a microwave and a toaster and an electric skillet. I don't need anything else because i'm just going to get something out of the freezer or pantry and pop it in the microwave anyway. And judging by the shelves in the pantry, I also want Little Debbie to be able to go to college one day!

Lori said...

I agree with you on this one. I think I've already funded Little Debby's medical school tuition. Doh! The hubby has been really into cooking lately and I say, "More power to him." He's made waffles and cake from scratch. Even made home made pretzels that tasted like Aunt Annie's. Yes, they were yummy... but I really don't want to spend that much time in the kitchen. I have way better things to do with my time... like read blogs. :)