Sunday, September 21, 2008

Football Tolerance Abuse

I like football. I actually enjoy watching when I have a connection to the team. I cheer for the Panthers and the Colts because of my time spent living in the Carolinas and Indianapolis. I come from an Ohio State family and went to Penn State so I get excited when the Buckeyes and the Nittany Lions take the field. I think football should be about those connections. Rah-rah-rah goooo home team! A player from your home town or alma mater gets the "Jimmy, Jimmy he's our man, let's give him a great big hand!" But those connections are no longer necessary because of the introduction of the evil fantasy football leagues. There are thousands of them and they multiply like roaches every season (insert screaming sound effect)!

Fantasy football has turned a perfectly tolerable sport into a dangerously addictive, year round haze of statistics, injuries, points, trades and trash talk. Magazines, websites and TV shows featuring cocky football know-it-alls are supposed to help each "owner" put together a dream team of players who will embarrass the dream team of players put together by friends, family members, coworkers and total strangers.

The hours devoted to researching this time consuming obsession could certainly be spent more productively. Fantasy football is to blame for spousal neglect and for dumbing down water cooler conversations at businesses large and small all over our nation. There was a time when just once a week a woman could don the jersey of her man's favorite team and share his passion for a few hours. Don't get me wrong, I know a few chicks who are into fantasy football, but most of us don't have the time or inclination to keep track of the stats and trades. We've got better things to do like... pick up the slack for the fantasy football slackers!

No comments: