Monday, January 12, 2009

Top Dog

I'm sure my neighbors talk about my dog behind his furry little back. Henri, my toy poodle, is 12 pounds of pure attitude. He wasn't always this way. He used to be the friendliest pooch on the block. Now he's the evil little fur ball barking viciously in the window or straining to break free from the leash to kick your dog's butt. Not that your dog is the least bit scared. Remember he's only 12 pounds and the targets of his rage are Akitas, Labs, Golden Retrievers and Huskies. He picks fights with canines that outweigh him by at least 50 pounds.

He has also started acting out around the house, barking when my mom or I try to read and getting way too possessive about his food. I've consulted my dog books and talked to a dog trainer (www.thepuppypreschool.com). The result? I now look and feel really stupid.

From what I've read and been told, Henri thinks he is the alpha dog of our pack and I must reclaim dominance. I'm not supposed to feed him first anymore. If I want to feed him in the morning, but don't have time for breakfast, I spend about 30 seconds pretending to eat his food before putting his bowl down. I guess I'm not a good actor, because he doesn't seem to be buying it. Half the time he won't even look at me. My mom has suggested that I crunch on something so that he can hear me eating. I refuse to go that far to convince a little dog that I'm really eating his food. I prefer to leave the method acting to Sean Penn.

I'm also not supposed to let him enter the house before me when we go for walks. It has become a race to the door and I almost always lose. I know he didn't get spoiled overnight and won't get unspoiled overnight, so don't preach to me about being patient or rotating food bowls or putting him in his crate every time I want to read. I need a break from trying to break my dog's bad habits. Between the nasty smell of dog food in my face at breakfast and listening to him whimper while I eat dinner my head bitch of the pack act isn't going to last long.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Ramona, I'm going to have to remind you that men are men whether they're canine or human. If we struggle to get the human ones to act normal, how do we have any hope for the poor pups? You're on the right track...stick to it!

LostMommyManual said...

I totally understand what you are going thru! I went thru this same thing when I moved in with my husband and his dog. We went to lots of obedience training and I had to do the things you are trying now. Don't feel bad. Just remember, they will always test for pack leader, so even when you reclaim alpha, Henri will be there waiting for you to slip up. Our dog used to stop eating whenever I came in the kitchen and he used to mark only my stuff. Obedience training straightened his butt out. We occassionally still have to flip him on his back. Good luck!

BusterzMom said...

Hi Ramona!!! I have a "top dog" too. His name is Buster. He is a Yorkie that is 7 1/2 lbs of pure fury. Not only does he hate other dogs, but NO ONE can walk down our street without Buster saying something about it.

Everyone wants Buster to go to puppy class to break him of his bad habits. We tried that once before. He flunked out because he could not get along with any of the other dogs in the class.

Buster is hand fed, has his own steps into my bed and has a collection of baby blankets that he curls up in when I am not at home.

Crate...leash...feed himself...HA!!! I think we know who's running my household and like you, I'm in no mood to try and break his bad habits.