Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dating for Dinners

Dinners and gifts are nice consolation prizes, but no sane woman subjects herself to dating dudes just for the perks. Did you notice the bold/italic thing I did with the word "sane?" Just about every week on the "Matt and Ramona Show" we get a call about some dude who is going broke thanks to some chick. Just this week we heard from a guy whose sister is now debt free because she married a money man she met on the Internet. The couple had only been together a few weeks before tying the knot. A few minutes later a second guy rang in with a complaint about a girlfriend who rung up several thousands dollars in credit card debt over the past few weeks. BTW, they are still together. How do I meet men like that? Is bad credit sexy? If so, I'm not paying the mortgage this month.

The last guy I dated announced he was only buying Christmas gifts for his kids. No candy cane for me that year. I had to giggle when his little girl told me that her mommy said "daddy is cheap." Another dude wanted to go dutch at dinner because he had to, "pay for gas" to get to my house.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a gold-digger. I just want to know why it appears that the women who appreciate it the least, seem to attract guys who want to spoil them the most? I think I'll pose with a "will date for food" sign and then post it on some dating site. Maybe then I'll nab a dude who'll spring for dinner even if he had to drive all the way to my house to pick me up.

2 comments:

DownSouthZeta said...

Ramona, I get the same thing with guys. Why do I have to pick guys who never have enough money to buy both of us dinner. And the guys that can buy the both of us dinner are not usually attractive.

mertoo said...

You have to expect them to do those things, and if they don't, then move on! You deserve to be treated well!
I have a peach of a husband and he treats me really well, but I have dated those cheapo guys in the past. I got to a point where I expected more and wouldn't settle for less, and that's when things turned around for me. I guess you could say it was the Law of Attraction that made things better for me.
My ex husband didn't participate in Christmas, which meant I never got presents. One day it just occurred to me that if he valued me, then he'd buy me a great gift. Notice I said EX-husband!
Hope you find a decent man who can afford the gas! I tell all my girlfriends to not go out with a guy if he allows her to pay for dinner!!!