Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympic Stories

Figure skating is my fav winter Olympics event, but I enjoy hearing personal stories about the athletes even more than watching the competitions.  Overcoming injuries and personal tragedy, conquering fear...   I eat it up.   The sacrifices they make and the desire to win that motivates them to push their bodies to the limit... I yearn to understand it and figure out how to harness it.   What percentage is God given talent?  What percentage is proper coaching?  What percentage is sheer faith?   Any ideas?

1 comment:

Maggi said...

I so agree with you. I have never watched a lot of the Olympics but my husband l-o-v-e-s watching them. I've seen more of the Winter Games this year than any other, lol. But wow is it exciting!

And it's always more thrilling when you know the athlete's backstory and you're just praying they make it! The couple from China that won the gold in couples, I was so happy for them and their coach!

Then there was the girl from Slovenia who slid down the track and off a little cliff only to go on and place 1st in qualifying then got the Bronze and collapsed right after. She wanted it and you couldn't help but root for her!