Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Anti-Chef

I guess some things, like food preparation, come as naturally as breathing to some folks.  Perhaps that's why so many people simply don't believe me when I say I can't cook.  If you take a heaping tablespoon of Ramona and add an oven, measuring cups and a knife, then you've got a recipe for disaster.

Co-hosting Charlotte Today has made it painfully clear that the kitchen will never be my domain.  Each day there has been a cooking segment.  On Wednesday when it was time to put the mac and cheese in the oven, I tried to shove it into the microwave.  Something always seems to go wrong when I'm in the kitchen so I'm perfectly happy letting someone else prepare the food while I assume clean-up duties.

There is a list of other things I'm positive I'll never master:
1.  shuffling cards
2.  yoga
3.  basic math (though I can easily figure out clearance rack percentages),
4.  singing harmony
5.  changing a poopy diaper (I've nearly vomited every single time I've tried)

Right now there is someone reading this list thinking that I just need more practice, or didn't have the right teacher... blah, blah, blah.   It's like when someone tells me that they hate pizza.  It sounds impossible to me, but if I expect them to respect my claims of being the anti-chef, then I've got to respect the fact that there are actually people like Matt Harris who get the "cha-cha-cha's" every time they set foot in a mall.

No comments: