Monday, January 11, 2010

Prick Free in 2010

This is the year I find a cure for diabetes.  I have a dream of being so determined to be free of finger prick testing, visits to the doctor and lifelong meds, that I discover some amazing food combination that puts this disease in remission.  It sorta happened like that in the movie Lorenzo's Oil with ALD, why not diabetes?

What I've learned so far in my quest for answers is that there is no easy way out.  From  incredibly restrictive diets to surgery, it all requires the type of vigilence that I've only been able to manage for a few months at a time.   I've found out that folks who have gastric bypass surgery or get the lap band are five times more likely to see their diabetes go into remission than patients who opt for diet and exercise classes.  I admit that more than one doctor has used the O word to describe my weight, but obesity surgery seems like such a drastic step.  I imagine having just a quarter teaspoon of salsa when my friends go to Cantina 1511 while they enjoy my favorite chopped salad and margaritas.  I'm not into clubbing or camping.  Fine dining with family and friends is my favorite way to unwind and have fun.  In fact, my mom Wheezy (who also has diabetes) went with me to last night's bariatric surgery seminar and while the doctor was talking we both had chicken wings on the brain.  I guess that proves I've got a long way to go before I'm prick free.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's determined to be prick free in 2010 & is totally overwhelemed with what it's going to take. *sigh* The lap band sounds good except it hasn't been around long. Gastric bypass sounds great except it has it's issues as well. Arrrrggghhh HELP!

Amanda said...

Ramona, a good friend of mine who lives in Charlotte and listens to you often, mentioned to me that you talking about lapband surgery. I used to live in Charlotte and listened to you all the time and decided to go in search on your blog to see if you are doing it. Although this is the first mention I've found, I just wanted to offer up any advice or information you need about LB. I am 10 months out and 70 lbs down and there is not a day that goes by that I regrete this. I have MEGA support by blogging and have even met 60 other women who support and blog just last month at a huge get together. Please get in touch if you want or I can even direct you to some blogs of girls that have inspired me along the way! Either way good luck and keep up the good fight! ajames79@msn.com