Thursday, July 2, 2009

Going Postal

Sorry postal workers, there was no intention to offend when I posed a question on Facebook recently. We were wondering which person on "The Matt and Ramona Show" is most likely to go "postal." Every workplace has at least one person who most folks believe could have a really unstable day on the job (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-314647/Are-sitting-office-psycho.html). When I met my ex-husband he was a Marine corps vet who was working at the post office. While the term "postal" may be offensive to some folks who work at the P.O., I know from personal experience that you've got your fair share of pent-up-anger types. I'll admit it, the media does too. Some crazy things happen in news rooms and studios. Let's consider us even.

There are three types of psycho coworkers... the ones who might snap and hurt somebody, those who might snap and destroy some company property and those who are married to someone who might snap and hurt somebody and/or destroy company property.

At my first radio job in Newark, OH I worked with desk kicker/briefcase tosser. He was a Type A+ sales dude who ultimately prepared me for the angerballs to come. I've only been scared of one co-worker. There was a guy on our promo team in VA Beach who'd get really excited about seeing pictures of people dangling from their nipple piercings. "Freak Scarey" as we affectionately called him, just didn't seem like the kind of guy you would ever want to tick off.

Thankfully, I don't think we've got any of the "hurt a coworker" types around here. Most likely to damage some station property? I'm giving that award to Matt. One of these days our discussions about taxes will push him over the edge (www.fairtax.org). Date somebody unstable? While Bandy and I get honorable mentions, you gotta vote for Doc. The guy admits to having absolutely NO dating standards. And since we've got some special circumstances here, I've gotta vote for a rebel rouser capable of leading a group of psycho co-workers. That one goes to Pete "The Angry Newsman" Kaliner. He asks some brutally tough and gruff questions during our employee benefits meetings.

If you just work with some regular folks who annoy you every now and then, consider yourself lucky. It could be worse (www.iworkwithfools.com). I just try to remember that for every annoyance I overlook, someone is being kind when I'm a pain in the behind.

No comments: