Monday, July 27, 2009

Thanks for the "NO"

Most toddlers master "no" right after learning "Daddy" and "Mommy." It's the most powerful two letter word in the English language. There are books dedicated to teaching stressed out, overcommitted adults how to say it (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-relief/SR00039). Ultimately if no one in your life can tell you "no" then you've just purchased a one way ticket to Trouble Town!

Looking beyond the drugs and the plastic surgery what it appears that Michael Jackson needed more than anything was a healthy dose of "no." "No," chimps don't make good pets. "No," you shouldn't befriend another kid outside of the family. "No," I won't give you a powerful, hospital-grade anesthetic to sleep (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/27/michael.jackson/). You see what I mean?

I want to thank all the "no" people in my life. Thanks mom for saying "NO" to the sleepover at the house of the girl with the violent parents. Thanks to my old boss, Dan Morris, for telling me "NO" when I tried to leave WNCI to work at a radio station with shady management. Thanks to Tracey and Val for exercising the power of "NO" when I modeled the sandals that showed off my ugly toe.

I'm sure you can think of a few "NO" folks who changed your life for the better. Maybe it was the hair stylist who told you "NO" a red mohawk wouldn't look good, a spouse who gave the thumbs down to your plan to tell off your boss or the friend who said "NO" to the invitation to your pity party. The tough part of "NO" is that it seldom feels good to say it or to hear it.

11 years ago I said "NO" to a friend, and it felt like the word was choking both of us. It turns out that refusing to watch her give up was the best thing I could have ever done. https://www.thegirlfriendcoach.com/Women_Who_WOW.html. The most difficult "NO" comes from God in the form a prayer you think He hasn't answered or from a relative who sees you heading in the wrong direction. NO can give you an attitude and feel downright cruel sometimes, but be thankful for it. It can save your life... or at the very least prevent some pretty nasty fashion crimes.

No comments: