Thursday, April 30, 2009

Original Recessionista

Where have all these shoppers come from? They used to stick to the malls and didn't stray from their favorite boutiques. Now they are crowding my favorite discount stores and picking them dry. It was tough even finding a parking spot close to the Marshalls store last week!

All of the magazines are giving "recessionistas" ideas on where to shop. What these new bargain shoppers are discovering, I've known all my life. Frugality can be fun! I grew up at yard sales (.http://mattandramona.1079thelink.com/registration/entry.cfm;jsessionid=a6302b14acf52c1682b557148461555774a5?ID=341) I could make a dollar last all day! I furnished my first home with fab finds from closeout sales and thrift stores. My secret thrill today was knowing that my entire Ann Taylor outfit; skirt, sweater and shrug cost less than $30. Why am I complaining? Too much competition for the good deals! The clearance racks have nothing but a few irregular odds and ends that I'd never wear or give as a gift. Even my fav discount spots are thin on inventory.

It could be my own fault. I'm shopping less because this just isn't a good time to invest in yet another pair of black patent leather shoes. And every savvy shopper knows that when it comes to discount stores and thrift shops, the more you go the more likely you'll find an unbelievable deal to brag to fellow bargain hunters about.

No comments: