Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Princess, Report to the Main Stage

Every little girl is a princess, right? Disney tells us that. T-shirts tell us. Grandparents tell us. So why don't more stores carry cute dresses to bring out the princess in the little girls we love. What I've been finding are dresses that look like tiny versions of the ones that big girls wear to nightclubs.

My goddaughter turns 7 in February. She wants dresses for Christmas. I've seen some beautiful party dresses, but the dresses that would be suitable for school or a birthday party are ridiculous. The fabrics, styles and colors look way too mature, unless Jasmyne plans to hit a few bars with her girls after she finishes her homework. Do they really need to make a gold strapless dress in a size 10?

I know there are websites with modest clothes for girls, but they usually feature nothing but drab, ankle-length jumpers. I don't want her to look like a reject from the turn of the century. Auntie Moma wants to buy casual dresses that scream CUTE! I'm trying to dress a little girl who loves Disney princesses, puppies and ballet. The dresses I've spotted at various department stores would be more suitable for a girl who performs as Princess, showing her puppies as she prances around the main stage.

2 comments:

CKJCreations said...

I am 100% in agreeance with you on this! I have a niece that was born on October 5th that I HOPE and PRAY that by the time she gets to Kindergarten that she remains in clothes that are age appropriate. It seems like once the older generation gets the "idea" that dressing like a 20 year old in your 50s is not the in thing anymore... the clothing designers start gearting towards the younger children to dress in their 20s to make them feel that it is the "in" thing. I hope you are able to find some cute dresses for your Godchild!!!

Sheila said...

And it gets worse from there. My daughter has graduated to the junior section, where all the clothes are designed for anorexic hookers.