Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Throwaway Guilt

Grandma had lots of jelly jars. I suspect she purchased Smuckers jelly just to get the jars. The evil jelly marketers must've known her weakness. Sometimes they would advertise special collectible jars! My grandmother made and canned her own jelly so she didn't need Smuckers for anything but the jars. Between the jelly jars and the margarine containers it was tough for the Tupperware lady to make a sale at Grandma Reacie's house. My mother has followed in her footsteps. She loves to re-use Ziplock bags and we have over a dozen plastic take-out containers from our local Chinese food restaurant. In an act of tough love I discarded my mother's Steak n Shake and Bojangles cups. It was for her own good.

As I clean out my refrigerator to get ready for Thanksgiving I realize that I too have the gene. I feel such guilt when I throw away Butterball lunch meat plastic containers. They are perfect for leftovers and great to use when I take snacks to work. I have Tupperware and Gladware so why do I find it so hard to part with these addictive containers? To make it even harder they don't even have a recycling number that my trash hauler accepts.

Recognizing the problem is the first step. "My name is Ramona Holloway and I like to keep plastic containers." I know I can't handle the temptation so the second step is simple. I've got to fight it. I must stop buying the lunch meat in those handy plastic containers with the colorful tops. It's the only way to break the family cycle!

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Hi Ramona. I'm a big fan or your radio show, but never called yet, but I always wish to call for Tireade Tuesday! Well, it seems that this season of "Dancing" took a long time to take off. Anyway... Broke and Lance are the best of this season, but overall this season was not very good at all! KInda boring. And all that counseling stuff? Oh give me a break!!! Love you guys!

Brenda G said...

I have the same affliction. And I am certain that there are still hundreds of jars (from the old days of canning veggies) in my mom's crawlspace!!

My mother-in-law was born of Polish immigrants...hence we affectionately call plasticware Polish Tupperware!! She also recycles foam meat trays and very neatly folds and stores all plastic shopping bags.

Before Thanksgiving, I replaced my Polish Tupperware with a new set of Glad containers. I had to listen to my mother's questioning as to why I didn't have a "disposable" bowl to send leftovers home with her!!

Oh, well! Look on the bright side - we got some of thier good genes too!!

Hope all is well!