Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fred is Not Surprised

My grandfather, was a Mississippi sharecropper. He and my grandmother migrated north to Ohio when he found work at a foundry in Ohio. When he wasn't working in his garden or working at the foundry, he read. He read mostly about politics, history and religion. I remember sitting on the porch with him in Oberlin and listening to him talk about the future of our family and our country.

As he watched his "tribe" grow from African and Native American roots into a multi-cultural tree he predicted that our nation would someday look more like our family. He believed that through love, tolerance and education, we'd become more united as a nation. I guess Fred Holloway was right. Obama's extended family is Black, White, Asian, Christian, Jewish and Muslim. Will that make him a better leader for these United States? I hope so. At this point in our nation's history, we could all use some hope.