Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Ask-Kicker is Born

I grew up in a family where you had to ask for permission to do just about everything. Want a snack? You'd better ask for it. Want to go outside, want to leave the dinner table, want to use the phone, want to get a perm, want to have a friend come over? Ask, ask, ask!

As an adult I'm still an asker, but I'm surrounded by "tellers." I ask for permission to give a friend tough love. I ask for refunds when overcharged. I ask for vacation days when most of my coworkers simply tell the boss when they'll be out.

I've learned my lesson, though. While asking usually leads to frustration, telling leads to results. Tellers take action. Askers wait for action. Even though I know this, I keep asking! What is wrong with me?! It is about time I learned this life lesson and applied my education. No more asking! From now on I intend to do more telling! When its time to do the right thing you won't hear me "asking." I'll be giving orders. From here on out Ramona will be kicking "ask" and taking names!

1 comment:

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Funny!! yes, sadly this does seem to be the way the world works now!!!
make sure you have great shoes on when you do all that "ask kicking"!!!

PS - My heart goes out to you all as well! I know this is very hard for you all also.