Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Not Just Another Blog, My Friend

Homie, old chum, pal, buddy... what can we use to replace "my friend?" The overuse of "my friend" is widespread. Senator John McCain uses it to address Americans. Doctors, servers, security guards, supervisors... let me tell you, my friend, "my friend" is coming at me everywhere I go. Some people toss it into every other sentence, my friend. Have the people using it simply forgotten my name? Is it something people toss in while they try to come up with something profound or important. Is it the kinder equivalent of "hey you?"

Please make it stop, my friends!

2 comments:

SurvivingVonnegut said...

Something that I've noticed since moving to America is that no one says ''mate''. I wasn't expecting anyone to say it but it was a bit of a culture shock coming from Australia where everyone says it. Because the word is still in my system I keep saying it to people and kind of feel a little out of place.

People need to start saying ''mate'' more, instead of ''my friend''. I think I'd rather be called ''my friend'' than ''dawg'' though.

www.milneroo.com

RomanDA said...

Ramona,

My problem is that i suck at names, really, its crazy, i have played in church bands for weeks or even months before i know all 5 people's names by heart. I know its a problem, but i have never been able to make the little games work, so i have taken to using "bud" or "dude" when im talking to guys, and i dont really know what i use when i talk to a woman. Lol, married so i dont talk to to many.. HEHE.

I do agree you are correct about people using it as a "place holder" in the conversation. I think people are not sure what to say all the time, and there is also the issue with people not knowing enough words to make good conversation, and than there is the people who just dont know they are saying things over and over.

Not sure what the answer is, dude, bud, dear, my friend, mate, are ALL better than dawg!