Monday, August 25, 2008

Can Tyra Be More Annoying?

Even though I figured out the formula for choosing America's Next Top Model sometime during cycle three, I still enjoy the show. There is just one person who blocks my enjoyment of this reality show mind candy, its creator, Tyra Banks.

Just when you think you've seen every possible picture of Tyra in every different wig and pose, SHE'S BACK with more wigs and more poses. Survivor isn't about Jeff Probst. American Idol isn't about Ryan Seacrest. So why must certain reality producers, like Sean "Diddy" Combs and Tyra Banks, force themselves onto the audience. Have they convinced themselves that the audience isn't tuning in for the contestants? Are they using these shows as a trick to get more face time on TV? Is this a last ditch attempt to remain relevant in an industry that celebrates youth? I suspect the answer is all of the above.

Last night I previewed the latest season of ANTM. The mean girl, the awkward girl, the conceited girl, the sheltered girl, the lesbian and the home girl are all back. They've even added a girl who was born a boy. Miss J, Mr. J and Paulina are back. Unfortunately Tyra is also back, in all her posing, camera-hogging, skimpy-dressing glory. It looks like it'll be an okay season... IF Tyra gives us the opportunity to see more of the aspiring supermodels and less one retired supermodel.

3 comments:

Debra S. said...

Oh say it isn't so. I had heard that she was going to skip this season to devote her time to her "career".

morganton52 said...

I have been watching ANTM since season 1. I really don't find Tyra irratating. If the new girls, up and coming models, want to strive for a role model, they could do alot worse than Tyra. I found Janice Dickerson the most irratating and useless person I have ever watched on TV. I do wish they would spend more time on selecting 'deserving' girls without emotional baggage. But we do watch for the drama.

Pamela said...

I agree with you. But what really annoyed me was Tyra dogging on Danielle from season 6 and her thick southern accent. But in season 9 the final 2 were Jaslene and Natasha and I never understood a word they were saying!!!!