Sunday, August 9, 2009

Open House Success?

My second open house of the summer was a huge success. No, I didn't get an offer, but two people showed up! I didn't have the heart to ask my realtor if they were a couple. Sure, I'd hoped for a line of hungry qualified buyers, but I'm still pretty darn grateful for my Saturday afternoon duo. I increased my open house traffic by 200%. Last time only my realtor made an appearance (http://www.realtor.com/basics/sell/listadvert/openhouse.asp).

I've had the house on the market for two summers in a row. As part of the staging process I've taken down family pictures and paintings that I love (http://www.homebuyinginstitute.com/staging/). Convenience has been sacrificed to keep countertops clear. I've discouraged weekend houseguests and put off plans to entertain. Living in a home you are trying to sell is a big fat burden. Ever get halfway to work and wonder... where did I leave that box of tampons? did I double check to make sure my panties are in the hamper? what did I do with my bank statements? It's just an uneasy feeling knowing that strangers will be nosing around and judging everything from your decorating style to your housekeeping habits.

While foreclosures are sending families packing I still sleep and eat in a place I should feel grateful to have. The burden mentality has got to go. God must think I'm nuts for not appreciating this place... only improving things that I think buyers will like. I miss the touches that make a house a "home." So, for now I'll keep the "for sale" sign out front, but on the inside I'm making some changes.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

We visited one really nice house in Lake Norman, 4200+ square feet, 5 years old, gorgeous, think $600,000 (we can't afford it) and it was nice except for that one open pad stretched out on the half-bath vanity. I think it was unused.

Stinks to have to lose your identity to sell your house. I think I'd last about a month. Good luck!