Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Door-to-Door Saleskids

The 2009-2010 school year started on Monday morning in my neck of the woods.  By Monday afternoon the kids were already making the rounds with their candles and cookie dough.  Do the kids even get a chance to learn their teacher's name before they're given the fundraising homework?

My mom and I generally buy from the first few kids who ring the doorbell.  By the time the 4th or 5th kid makes the rounds, we're pretending not to be home.  Sounds a bit rude, but we don't need more flower bulbs, coffee mugs or wrapping paper and its tough to tell the sweet little saleskids "NO" right to their cute little faces.  Most schools discourage door-to-door selling but encourage the kids to hound their neighbors.  Its a mixed message for sure. http://www.school-fundraisers.com/fundraisingtips/safetytips.html

I admire the kids who soak up the principal's fundraising pep talk.  They take to the sidewalks with order sheets in hand, trying to sell enough magazines to get a "free" t-shirt or a pizza party for their class. 
http://fundraisingip.com/articles/Article/A-Reason-To-Sell---Incentive-Ideas-For-Fundraising-Projects/11
I've worked as a sales rep.  Cold calls aren't easy, but these miniature marketers take them in stride.  . 

Good luck saleskids. Don't take it personally if you see lights on at my house, but nobody is answering the door.  It just means we've already purchased a coupon book and some candy from one of your classmates.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I know exactly what you mean. My son came home with a fundraising paper already and I just about fell off my chair. They don't waste any time anymore. And this is just the beginning. They have so many now throughout the school year.