Friday, May 15, 2009

Arm Issues

Please don't read this and think I'm not thankful for having arms. Arms are good. Having arms makes a lot of things possible, like hugging and wearing bracelets. But that doesn't mean I don't have arm issues and my arms issues are demanding respect.

Some folks may never understand. They are the totally secure, stand-in-the-mirror-nude-loving-every-inch-of-what-they-see types of people. They write poems about their butts, flash their boobs for beads and jog in sports bras and with matching panties. I don't have a problem with the body lovers, I just have a problem with their lack of respect for my issues.

I've been evening gown hunting for months (http://mattandramona.1079thelink.com/page.cfm;jsessionid=a630796cec85b325813343f3f253073335b2?ID=276.) I want to feel at ease in the gown I choose to wear to New York for the Gracie Awards in June. The only way to do that is to wear something that keeps my issues in check. I need covered arms, flare at the hip (to make it look like I've got curvy hips and booty) and a color and fabric that doesn't resemble anything that might inspire some unfortunate comparison (http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/21/abominable-snowman-found/ ). I love one dress because it makes me awesome cleavage, another because my arms are totally covered and a third because it when you see me from the back.... it's "Hello Kim Kardashian!"

My mom refuses to wear clingy dresses or skirts that emphasize her "knobs." I have a friend who wears 3/4 length sleeves year-round because of her arm issues. Another friend won't show her knees. You guessed it! My arm issues are not only hereditary they are re-enforced by my environment. So, I respect your issues if you don't like showing your toes or tummy. I won't encourage you to wear a thong to the beach or try to convince you to show your tipples at church if you promise not to try to make me show off my arms. Deal?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Feel your pain. Had ridiculous genetically bad upper arms even when I weighed 105. Your black dress option for the Gracies was perfect for our issue!!

Unknown said...

I can so relate to your arm issues...being of Polish ancentry, I am sure my large upper arms probably were a blessing to my agricultural fore mothers. However I constantly have to pass up clothes that fit perfectly elsewhere but either have sleeves that are way too tight or no sleeves at all. One of these days designers will realize that not everyone can wear a sleeveless gown. I would definitely be most comfortable in dress #2. Any chance the store could find a matching shawl for dress #3...that would be the best of both worlds.