Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Big Disconnect

This is it... just one more e-mail and two more phone calls before I'm outta here. My goal is to take four days off. Four whole days! No computer, no cell phone, no meetings. I even took a day off to prepare for my days off. I should've left the house hours ago, but I'm still here waiting for a phone call. That phone call will lead to lots of questions that only my computer can answer. AHHHHH!

Why is it that when you try to take a little vacation, you wind up working overtime for your getaway? My friend BethAnn firmly believes that the devil knows we need rest, so he keeps us super-busy to distract us from getting the relaxation we so desparately need. She might be right. That explains why every urgent e-mail I answer leads to two more urgent e-mails.

Disconnecting is a sin for some. I have a few friends who would rather lose a finger than ignore their cell phone. I think many of us are just too plugged in. I know that when I unplug I'll have a huge load of stuff to do when I return. It makes me feel a little guilty to think that my big disconnect might leave some other folks in limbo for a few days. We're so used to everyone being so accessible all the time that when we can't be reached it drives some folks crazy. Am I the only one who sometimes longs for the freedom we had when computers lived in office buildings and phones lived on a wall in the kitchen?

No comments: