Thursday, February 5, 2009

Don't Give me the Tweet-ment

Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, Xanga... all that social networking can become a nightmare. There was a time when networking just meant passing out a few business cards during happy hour. Once happy hour was over your networking day was done. Internet networking is nonstop around the clock. It never ends. Sure I've heard from a girl I worked with for 2 weeks in the dining hall at Penn State, but I barely have time to socialize with the friends I work with right now. My failure to spend significant quality time with people I love causes a lot of guilt. My pal Cheryl (http://www.mcclatchy.com/146/story/352.html), who is fairly new to Facebook, says while social networking is fun, she really doesn't need something else in her life that presents an opportunity for failure.

As a woman who is failing Social Networking 101, I totally understand where Cheryl is coming from. I can't even remember my MySpace or LinkedIn login info. And I wish someone would tell me how to stop Classmates.com from sending me e-mails about the people who've viewed my profile?

Please don't remind me about what social networking can do for my career/social calendar/love life. I don't care if Facebook is sooooo 2006 and Twitter is what's happening now. With about 200 unanswered Facebook messages haunting me, I will go Britney Spears if somebody tries to Tweet me on Twitter!

2 comments:

It's Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
It's Me said...

I had a typo -- sorry.

They need to come up with something that combines all the social networking stuff into one page/application. That way if you are on the different sites, you can just log on once.

Might help those who are socially challenged but trying to keep up. ;)

Check out my blog