Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Call the Doctor

The typical conversation starts like this...
Ramona: How are you feeling today, mom?
Mom: I broke out in hives last night. I couldn't sleep and now I feel weak.
Ramona: Call the doctor
Mom: I have an appointment coming up in December of 2015. I'll just wait and ask him then.

Why is it so darn difficult to get my mother to call her doctor? He's a nice guy who specializes in senior medicine. He takes time to find out what's going on with her and listens to her stories about our dog, Henri. Dr. Pham's nurse, Sharon, returns every phone call with patience and understanding. Our family budget hasn't gotten to the point that she's eating dog food and can't afford the gas to get to her appointment.

So, I threaten to call, knowing that I'll be asked a thousand questions that mom needs to answer...

Ramona (on the phone with the doctor's office): My mom woke up with hives and feels weak.
Doctor's office: Is she having an allergic reaction to something she ate or has there been a medication change?
Ramona: (repeats questions to mom sitting right next to her)
Mom: (relays answers to Ramona who must then relay answers to doctor's office)
Doctor's office: (ten more questions)

This scenario usually ends with mom getting upset because I've made the appointment for a time that conflicts with her hair salon/physical therapy/soap opera (www.cbs.com/daytime) time. I just can't figure out WHY the doctor calling process has to be so complex.

No comments: