Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Passion for Downsizing

The more room you have the more junk you have.  I'm downsizing from what my family calls a mc-mansion to a townhome.  I can't and don't even want to take all my stuff with me, but there is no way I'm tossing a single thing in the trash.  I'm doing my best to find good homes for everything in my old home.

Books... certain titles are being reserved for friends who I know will appreciate them.  Just gave my talk show host buddy, Pete Kaliner, my copy of "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do:  The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Country."  I haven't used it as a reference since 1996.   I'm sending a few of my grandfather's books to my cousin, Cory, a voracious reader and the up-and-coming family philosopher.  The rest of the books are going to Goodwill.  Goodwill will also be getting CDs and cassettes from the dozens of one hit wonders I've met in radio. 

Business Clothes... Dress for Success.  If I'm ever a size 8 or 18 again, I'm sure they'll be out of style anyway.  Every good garment deserves to be STYLED before it becomes outdated.  I'm a clothes-aholic and downsizing from two big closets to one small one is probably the toughest task of all.  Donating those suits and dresses to women looking for jobs... well, that's just the right thing to do.

Dressy and Casual Clothes... Great Things.  Its a resale store run by my church for an in the Lincoln Heights community.  Its the first business opened in Lincoln Heights within the last 10 years and provides a unique shopping experience within walking distance of neighborhood residents.

Furniture and Housewares...  Crisis Assistance Ministry.  When families lose everything, this ministry lets them "shop" at their free store for clothing and anything you might need to set up a household.

Elephants... my elephant collection (not the entire herd, just a few dozen) will be scattered among sorority sisters.  I already know which ones they've been coveting!


I know I'm not the only one downsizing and this isn't the easiest way to do it.  It just feels like the most thoughtful way to do it.  It also helps to relieve the stress of moving by taking the focus away from the paperwork and packing and putting it on the positive....  recycling, re-gifting and re-energizing for my next phase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how thoughtfully you are downsizing. And I have to be honest, this post is like a little crack for me because I love organizing and getting rid of things. One of my life rules is one in, one out-- especially with clothes. So, does this post mean the house has sold! Oh, I hope so!

Oliva Sayana said...

My sisters and I are finishing the summer long process of clearing my mother's apt (she sold the family home 17 years ago and moved into a smaller apt...renting=less worry). She has just moved into a shared room (Medicaid insisted on shared) in a nursing home. This process has meant my sisters and I have gone through every single item of hers, kept what was meaningful to each of us personally, stored things we cannot bear to lose and sold as much as possible at yard sales. FOUR yard sales! We have touched everything, cried, laughed, bonded, sweated and made many new friends at the sales. We think there have been some sweet, special angels who came into our lives through the sales (and many funny ones). The letting go of some of the items (7 boxes of books, some china, records...) has been a letting go of childhood. It's been bittersweet. Mom's doing better, too with the love and care and attention she really needed. We will be out of the apt officially on Sunday. Closing the door on another chapter; other doors will open.

Christina said...

We just downsized in May from 2700 square feet to 1300 square feet. It was the best decision we ever made. Financially it was a no brainer but with three kids in tow, we weren't sure. This house feels like a home and got rid of all the junk that was weighing us down. What we are left with is all the stuff we really want and enjoy as part of our home. I hope that you will feel the same way in your new home.

Christina
http://xtinax01-xtinasworld.blogspot.com/