Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jasmyne meets Tiana

A grown woman really shouldn't be this excited about a Disney Princess, but I am.  I've been shopping for Princess Tiana goodies for my god-daughter for months (I can give you prices on the wedding doll, the toddler doll and Tiana sparkle bag).  Auntie Moma already knows where we'll be watching "The Princess and the Frog" on opening weekend!   Now ask me if my god-daughter is excited.  My answer?  Nope.  Jasmyne's mother has tried to pass along our Tiana fever and it just ain't workin.'   I've heard the movie is destined to be another Disney classic, but that happens over a period of time.  The kid sees the movie, plays with the toys, gets the DVD and then watches it hundreds of times in the car.  I just want Jasmyne to love Tiana right now!

When I was a little girl my favorite princess was Cinderella. 
http://www.littledressupshop.com/store/1608772/product/CIN325
We only had Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty (a.k.a. Princess Aurora) and Snow White back in those days.  I cherished my Cinderella watch, but dressing up as Cinderella?   I would've looked like a pint-sized L'il Kim (with less-than-desirable results I was twisted enough to dress up as June Cleaver for a Norfolk Zoo fundraiser, only to be mistaken for Florida Evans)  With Tiana we finally have a Princess with a look that an African American girl can pull off and my god-daughter just doesn't care!

She has grown up with Zach and Cody on TV and the Obama girls in the White House.  She sings Miley Cyrus and Beyonce songs.  It doesn't matter that Tiana is the first African American princess.  To her it's just another movie she hasn't seen yet and its good she feels that way.  She doesn't know about Disney history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxYwwIL5zQ
 She doesn't even understand the Disney marketing machine that sucks in kids and parents alike.  It's okay!
It'll be nice to spend an hour or so reliving the Disney princess magic with a little kid.  This week, girls night out consists of talking animals, beautiful ball gowns and happy endings. 

No comments: