Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cheesy Dog Owners

I won't insult you by comparing my little poodle to your kid.  I just want you to know I won't be making fun of Jessica Simpson's alleged depression over losing her dog in a coyote attack.
 p://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20305379,00.html.  Losing a pet has got to suck ALOT.  Martha Stewart publicly scolded Jessica for not keeping an eye on her dog.  She later said she was VERY, VERY sorry about the scolding.  (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20308089,00.html).  The apology came a little too late for me, Martha.  I purchased your products in Kmart while you were locked up just to prove a point.  Now, your decorating tips are dead to me. 

I've become one of those pet people.  I swear it sneaked up on me.  One day I was buying a puppy in Rock Hill.  The next day I was referring to him as a new addition to the family (http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/08/07/smart.dogs/index.html).  It happened overnight!  My mom is even worse than  me. She calls him "Grandma's Boy" and greets him with a belly rub and leg massage every morning.  I sneaked him into the hospital when she was ill (after all they allowed therapy dogs) and I swear her breathing improved that day.  I've never told this to anyone, but I came this-close to buying an "I heart my Grand-dog" sticker for my mom's car.  She receives presents from him (though he never pays me back for doing his shopping).  When he's getting groomed (http://www.dog-gone-beautiful.com/) or he's at the kennel (http://www.continentalboarding.com/) the house feels eerily empty without him. 

I've worked with cheesy pet owners before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Martin).  I didn't contribute  when co-workers in Columbus were taking up a collection to buy flowers for a sales rep whose dog had died.  I rolled my eyes when co-workers in Virginia Beach were taking up a collection to buy insulin when we found out that the station cat, Shadow,  had diabetes (hey, nobody was offering to buy insulin for my diabetic mom AND Shadow was not a pleasant acting or smelling animal). 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQfuzNGT58

Thanks to Henri, I'm a changed woman.  I'm a cheesy dog owner. So, listen up, Marth Stewart.  If something happens to my dog Henri don't tell me to just get another dog, don't dismiss my tears (I guarantee there will be tears) and PLEASE spare me the she "should've been more careful" line.  A little sensitivity goes a long way with us cheesy pet people. 

BTW, pet people beware, cats and small dogs look like dinner to hungry coyotes http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/a_closer_look_at_wildlife/coyote.html.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Where was Martha when the puppy she bought to "replace" her late Chow Chow perished in a kennel fire? Was she "keeping an eye" on that poor pup?

midnightbunny said...

I completely agree with you Ramona. Hindsight is 20/20, and Martha Stewart apparently thinks she knows everything in life. I mean, I'm sure her "experience", especially in jail, taught her what it was like to be depressed and to miss loved ones in her life. You would think she would know better than to spout off at the mouth regarding other people's misfortune.

I am a proud mother to both of my children, and to our pets as well. We have suffered losses within our family of our treasured family pet members over the years, and let me just say that I would do just about anything to have those that are passed on back in our lives. They were family, and will always be family.

I feel for what Jessica Simpson is going through, and am devastated for her loss, especially in such a tragic way. For anyone who has a lecture for her on "how to take care of" her own family pet/member, I think they should realize that in life things happen, and none of us should point fingers.

Thank you Ramona for posting about this.