Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Senior Technology

My mom and I have an ongoing tech issue.  It started back in the days when I carried a pager.  When I retrieved my messages I'd hear her reading the pager instructions I'd given her.  After she finished reading, she'd hang up.  No message, just mom repeating my pager number and the instructions!  Thankfully the pager days are over (http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinventions/a/pager.htm)

Now our nemesis is the cell phone.  Wheezy refuses to leave it on when she's not talking.  She'll call and leave a message then turn the phone off because she doesn't want to run down the battery.  Do you know how frustrating it is to get an urgent sounding message (and they all sound urgent) only to call her back minutes later and get the voicemail.  Answer when she calls or miss her altogether.  Maybe when batteries were first invented, they only lasted for a few minutes (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-2.htm).  Perhaps in the post-depression era battery conservation was a big deal, but its 2009!  How can I convince her that the cell phone will stay charged all day?  Should I just give up?  Maybe senior citizens and technology just don't mix! http://www.sunliving.com/seniortech.html

She's called me about 4 times today.  Each time I've called her back her phone has been off!  AAAAAAAHHHH.  It's driving me nuts!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife would let hers die in her hip pocket. All I could do for her was to get her a charging dock radio (iHome). Then she'd go off in the morning and leave it docked. Then I got her a carabiner and a holster. Now she can attach the phone to belt or purse.

Every step taken lets her get more an more comfortable with it . . . and its capabilities.

Good luck!