Thursday, October 23, 2008

Phone Hostage

Help me please! I'm sitting at the computer with a phone to my ear. I want to hang up. I REALLY want to hang up, but I'm being held hostage. I've tried, "I know its late. I'd better let you go," and "I need to stop procrastinating and do these dishes," but you simply can't drop hints in hostage situations.

There are lots of people who need to feel like hanging up is their idea. It doesn't matter if I say that I have to go because I'm being carjacked or my hair just caught fire. I think it is a control issue. Just to be fair, maybe I'm the one with the control issues because I want to hang up first.

I propose some phone rules. If the person you are talking to says he or she, "should probably get off the phone" then the best response is, "okay, bye." Do not launch into a another round of questions about TV, politics, or anything else for that matter. If the person you are talking to offers to let you get back to what you were doing before the phone call then don't take that as your que to tell the story you haven't bothered to tell for the past half hour. Is there something so wrong with just vowing to talk again soon and hanging up?

My cell phone feels like I'm holding a hot poker against my head. My ear is sweating and I'm getting a neck cramp from trying to cradle the phone between my chin and shoulder so that I can continue to type. But I think I've developed that syndrome where you start to identify with your hostage taker. I don't want any hurt feelings. I just want to watch "Ugly Betty" and go to bed. Maybe I should ring my own doorbell and pretend to have company. Nah! Its too late for that. I have to figure out a way to make my hostage taker believe that hanging up wasn't my idea. If I don't I might die here... right here at my computer.

2 comments:

jnet blogs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jnet blogs said...

I have a friend that I can never get off the phone with. I can tell her that I have to walk out the door in five minutes and she still launches into yet another..."oh, I just HAVE to tell you about...". I seriously avoid her calls because I'm just so busy, but then I feel the guilts coming on and I answer and I listen til my ear sweats. Forget the cell phone, my battery would die before she would be done. I guess we are just too nice about hanging up but why can't people take hints, no matter how blatant? I hear ya Ramona!