Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pink Cancers

Breast cancer, vaginal cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer... there's more than 1 "pink" cancer.   Thank you to the Charlotte Checkers organization for recognizing that at Saturday's game.  Just before face off at Pink in the Rink there was a moment of silence for Lori Dubois who died of ovarian cancer last week.  If you didn't know her, believe me you would've loved her.  If you've ever been to Taste of Charlotte, you've been to one of her parties.  She co-founded the city's premier festival with her husband, Matt, and his brother and sister in law.  Lori was a force of light who brought me to tears with her plea to get my co-workers and me to help her raise money for cancer research. 

When the Checkers put Lori's picture on the monitor, for a few seconds I was able to make sense of losing this 41-year old mom.  During that powerful moment of silence I believe every cancer survivor and supporter understood the importance of being there last night.  It became painfully clear that there is so much more we need to know about the prevention, detection and treatment of women's cancers.

No comments: